Followers

RSS

All in a days work :)

I used to work in a sweet shop and I got very bored the one week I was there. I'd spent a while spreading out what was left of the stock on the shelves so it looked relatively full and then had nothing to do but sit and wait. No-one was coming in and the few who did, didn't buy anything because we didn't have what they wanted. So I began to write poetry :) Here is the final version.

An empty sweetshop in an empty high street

Tap, tap, tap,
The high street is still empty
The paths as bare as these shelves
Which shuffle, and divide
To fake the supply of sweets.

In, out, sigh,
A dance, a step to pass
The time which drags on so slow.
Half past four – an eternity away
From my watch so stubborn, so still.

Knock, knock, knock,
Our dozing heads lift in surprise
Stretched bright smiles and eyes
Full of sparkle as we watch
The customer looks… then leaves.

On, off, on,
No power, no sale, no radio.
Lock up and leave? Or pay for light?
Or sit in the darkness and watch
The high street still as empty as these shelves.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool. I like the way there's a real sense of boredom, but it doesn't make it boring to read lol if that makes sense.

Post a Comment